Skip to main content

Capital value falls slow, but further weakness ahead

Capital value falls slowed in Q1 as the surge in euro-zone all-property yields cooled. But, with rent growth decelerating across all sectors, the increase in yields was still enough to drive another 4% q/q fall in capital values. Although this decline was not as severe as in the previous two quarters, it took the total peak-to-trough fall in values so far to 16%. With the weakness in rents set to persist and further yield rises anticipated, we think values are now more likely to fall around 20%.

Become a client to read more

This is premium content that requires an active Capital Economics subscription to view.

Already have an account?

You may already have access to this premium content as part of a paid subscription.

Sign in to read the content in full or get details of how you can access it

Register for free

Sign up for a free account to gain:

  • Unlock additional content
  • Register for Capital Economics events
  • Receive email updates and economist-curated newsletters
  • Request a free trial of our services

Get access