Emerging Markets Forecast Forum 2018
08:30 Coffee & registration
Roger Bootle, Chairman
09:00 The coming slowdown in China
Mark Williams, Chief Asia Economist
- Can China kick its addiction to debt?
- Is a strong President Xi positive for reform?
- What is the outlook for growth over the years ahead?
09:15 What’s the outlook for the rest of the emerging world?
Neil Shearing, Chief Emerging Markets Economist
- How much of the recent rebound is domestically-generated?
- Which regions will deliver surprises in 2018?
- What is the medium-term outlook for EM growth?
09:30 Will Africa be the next EM powerhouse?
John Ashbourne, Africa Economist
- Can Africa follow in the path of the Asian tigers?
- Which of the region’s economies will out-perform?
- Can Ramaphosa reform South Africa?
09:45 The implications for EM financial markets
Oliver Jones, Markets Economist
- How will EM bonds, equities and currencies perform over the next two years?
- Are markets too sanguine about the risks posed by a slowing China and tightening Fed?
- What are the implications of lower trend growth for EM financial markets?
10:00 Questions and discussion
Chaired by Roger Bootle
10:30 Close & Coffee