The Capital Economics Annual Conference 2017 – Stockholm
Ten years after the financial crisis: Is the global economy finally back to health?
08:30 Coffee & registration.
09:00 The crisis and its aftermath.
Roger Bootle, Chairman
- What was the root cause?
- How did things go so badly wrong?
- How and why has economic performance varied since?
09:15 Banks, debt and deleveraging. Are things back to normal?
Jack Allen, European Economist
- Is deleveraging over?
- Have the banks fully recovered?
- What does this mean for the economy?
09:30 Will inflation ever pick up again?
Andrew Kenningham, Chief Global Economist
- Has the inflation/unemployment relationship changed?
- Are globalisation and technological change holding inflation back?
- What if inflation is permanently lower?
09:45 The road back to normal monetary policy.
Jennifer McKeown, Chief European Economist
- What does “normal” now look like?
- When and how will central banks tighten policy?
- How will economies and markets respond?
10:00 Could it all happen again?
Jonathan Loynes, Chief Economist
- Has the system been fixed?
- What could trigger another crisis?
- How would policymakers react?
10:15 Questions and discussion.
Chaired by Roger Bootle
10:45 Close & coffee.