Capital Economics is one of the world’s leading independent economic research companies. Our goal is to provide our clients with original, timely and insightful analysis supported by solid economic thinking. Samples of the sort of work we produce can be found on our website.
We are looking for a macroeconomist to join our Latin America team. The position could sit in either London or New York, depending on the applicant. We look for people who able to present unique and independent views, who possess strong analytical skills, and who have the ability to express themselves in English with clarity and concision. Candidates should have a good degree in economics and at least two years of relevant experience.
The main responsibility would be to contribute to our research on emerging economies in Latin America. You would:
- Take the lead in forming our view on the outlook for one or more economies in the region. You would also contribute to our broader research on Latin America and the wider emerging world.
- Try to identify where consensus expectations for policy and for key economic and financial indicators are wrong.
- Identify the key short- and medium-term risks that global investors should be aware of.
- Produce frequent pieces of written analysis on these views. At one end of the spectrum, this would include quick responses to events, data releases and policy decisions, which are sent to clients within a few minutes. At the other, you would be writing on themes that are likely to shape the global economy over the next five years.
- Present these views directly to clients, whether in person, on the telephone or conference calls, or at seminars.
- As your expertise grows, you would be encouraged to build your own profile, including through media appearances.
The ideal candidate would have:
- A strong academic background with, at least, a good undergraduate degree in economics.
- At least two years’ experience of working as a macroeconomist. Candidates with significantly more experience will also be considered and, if hired, would be given more responsibility. Our priority is to find talented people and then work out the best fit for them rather than to attempt to fit people to pre-determined roles.
- Experience covering economies in Latin America, though this is not essential. Spanish and/or Portuguese language skills would, similarly, be an asset.
- Above all, strong writing English skills. Most of our output is written, so the ability to structure a written argument and express it clearly and concisely is a must. The hiring process includes a writing assessment.
We would like to fill this role as soon as possible. Compensation will depend on the successful applicant’s experience.
Please send a CV and covering letter to Neil.Shearing@capitaleconomics.com indicating in the subject line that you are applying for the Latin America economist position. Direct applications only please (no agencies).